Monday, November 29, 2010

take a breath...

i keep telling myself it's a learning process. that it wasn't all a waste. i know how to do stuff now that i didn't know before. it wouldn't have worked anyway.

the litany can go on, but the truth of the matter was that the mirrored-cable-with-wishbone-cable-in-the-center-scarf i was making has been frogged (you know, rip it, ribbit). the type of background stitch that allows the cables to pop off the background also has a tendency to curl. badly.

i thought at first a little curl would be good, you know, it would go with the natural curve under the neck, but this was more than a curl, it was a fold. how about blocking, you say? well, that would have worked great it the yarn i was using was 100% wool, but it's not. it's a wool blend. which means it would have blocked beautifully until someone tried to wear it, at which point it would revert right back to where it had been before.

i realized this problem about seven cable repeats into my cowl. so, the first thing i tried was to rip back just a few cables and put in another 5 rows of seed stitch across the entire thing, to kinda make cable panels. that didn't work. so i tried using a different background, which necessitated ripping back all the way to the first cable. i may have had a bud light to fortify myself, but i reminded myself it was just two days work in my spare time, no biggie. so i tried a garter stitch background, but it was just too stretchy, vertically.

rip it. rip it. rip it.

time to search ravelry.

christmas project countdown:  13 projects (plus maybe 3 for my little family)

1 comment:

  1. It made me pretty sad, the thing was beautiful. But you learned a lot about knitting, so I guess it was a good thing. I have to go with your better judgment, you know way more about yarn sports than I do. :)

    ReplyDelete