Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Good News!

Somehow, (I'm not sure exactly how - maybe time warped in my favor for once??) I passed the halfway mark with my homemade gifts! And I got my hubby to agree to help with one of them, though I'm trying to convince him to take it over for me.

"Okay, hon, I can help but I've never made these before."

Dear Bairloch knows for a fact, however, that I've never made them either, and that he is most definitely the superior baker (shut up, you are). So here is a public plea from your just-barely-half-done-with-christmas-crafting wife to please, please, take this one over.

I dramatize. I know you'll help if I ask. I love you.

Here's the item that set me over my halfway mark: another McCall's 6049 kid's apron. This one is for a little girl, so i went ahead with the cupcake fabric and the ruffles and the bobble trim. I used view A but left the ruffles off the top and did the trim as I pleased.


Stupid ruffles. I now hate ruffles. My thread kept breaking on my longest basting stitch on the machine (which was quite short anyway) so i had to pin the damn things every centimeter. Lots of sticks. Ick. The bobble trim was too think to turn under and task with the seams and all, so i trimmed it flush and sealed the edges with super glue gel (it's the same thing as fray check but thicker).


Cute flower buttons! The casings for the straps were easier on this one because, unlike the Thomas apron (where I cut the piece wherever I had room left), I actually cut the casing pieces on the bias, so they stretched a bit better and laid flatter.


I'm beginning to panic a bit about getting everything done in time. I'm starting to rationalize and prioritize, which is never a good sign. One family comes first, and I have.... 4 projects and 2 half projects to finish.

I'm supposed to be taking notes in class now. At least I'm here (it's a step up).

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm working on this apron for my daughter for Christmas...and as a novice sewer - the casings have me very confused! Looks like you did fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! nice to see someone outside my family knows about this thing. :)

    ReplyDelete