Sunday, December 5, 2010

Insanity, thy name is Einstein

Not that Albert Einstein was himself insane (remind me to change my facebook profile; I think I may have misappropriated his quote to someone else). Einstein is attributed to leaving us this brilliant little gem:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Clearly, by Einstein-ian measures, I am insane.

Once again, despite giving myself a pep talk a few weeks ago (sort of - that one was about not skipping class), I have ended up in the position of having a bunch of work to do (read: tons) at 10:30 on a Sunday night. And it's no one's fault but my own.

I readily accept blame for this predicament, but to make myself feel just a tad bit better, I turned to Jean Debuffet (like french "john" + day-bouf-fay: don't worry, I had to look him up too. He's a painter/sculpter-type person) who said:

"For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. 'Normal' means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."

So by this definition, because I'm insane, I'm most definitely sane. But if I'm sane, I'm normal, which apparently also means I'm psychotic.

To be insane? Or to be psychotic? Choices, choices...



p.s. No knitting for me tonight.

p.p.s. Okay, maybe just a row or two, you know, to take the edge off and keep me awake at 2 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment